Victorian hexagonal sweet shop kiosk on North #Pier #Blackpool with the #Tower in the background. Designed by Eugenius Birch, the pier opened on May 21st 1863. A landing/fishing jetty was added in 1866 and extended in 1869, bringing the pier’s length to 1410 feet. The pier was damaged in 1867 by wreckage from Nelson’s former flagship, the ‘Foudroyant’, which had been moored off the pier for an exhibition. There were further ship collisions with the pier in 1892 and 1897 The deck was widened in 1896, and shops and an arcade were added to the shore end in 1903. by quirkytraveller
No comments:
Post a Comment